Courtesy of Sewanee Athletics
ATLANTA (May 12, 2018) - The 19th-ranked Sewanee men's tennis team saw its season come to an end on Saturday in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Men's Tennis Championships, dropping the contest to No. 23 N.C. Wesleyan, 5-3, from the campus of Emory University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: No. 23 N.C. Wesleyan 5, No. 19 Sewanee 3
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Men's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
-Brewer would rebound in singles play. The sophomore, at the No. 4 flight, dominated Roberto Puig, 6-1, 6-4 to even the score at two sets apiece.
-After the Battling Bishops earned the point at the No. 3 to take the lead, 3-2, the Tigers rallied again, this time at the No. 6 position. Alejandro Becker downed Richard Gende, 6-4, 6-2 to make it an even score once again.
-At the No. 1, Jack Gray went into a tiebreak with foe Sebastian Sikh in the first set, but the junior suffered defeat in the tiebreak 7-4 in the 7-6 opening set loss. Sikh rallied to take the point, 6-2 in the second set to give N.C. Wesleyan the lead for good.
-Ioannis Brokakis clinched the match for the Battling Bishops at the No. 2, defeating Sewanee's Andres Carro, 6-4, 6-1.
-N.C. Wesleyan will face host Emory, who won 5-1 in the other second round match, on Sunday at 12 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. CT on Sunday.
1. Sebastian Sikh (NCWM) def. Jack Gray (SEWANEE) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
2. Ioannis Brokakis (NCWM) def. Andres Carro (SEWANEE) 6-4, 6-1
3. J.D. Telles (NCWM) def. Ryan Olps (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jordan Brewer (SEWANEE) def. Roberto Puig (NCWM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Aditya Iyer (NCWM) vs. Jack Metzger (SEWANEE) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Alejandro Becker (SEWANEE) def. Richard Gende (NCWM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Roberto Puig/Ioannis Brokakis (NCWM) def. Jack Gray/Hayden Loeb (SEWANEE) 8-1
2. J.D. Telles/Aditya Iyer (NCWM) def. Jordan Brewer/Andres Carro (SEWANEE) 8-6
3. Jack Metzger/Alejandro Becker (SEWANEE) def. Sebastian Sikh/Richard Gende (NCWM) 8-3