MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (April 28, 2019) - The Sewanee men's tennis team overcame a 2-1 deficit after doubles play to secure the team's seventh straight Southern Athletic Association Men's Tennis Tournament Championship, clinching the match 5-2 on Sunday from the Adams Tennis Complex.
-In singles, the bottom of the lineup brought the Tigers back into the match. Jordan Brewer earned the first win in singles to even the score at two points apiece with a shutout of P.J. Shaw at the No. 4 flight.
-Jack Metzger at the No. 6 gave Sewanee the lead with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Sean Hogan to give the top-seed the 3-2 lead.
-Fletcher Kerr at the No. 5 put the Purple and Gold one point away from clinching the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Sairam Gudiseva.
-Senior Jack Gray clinched the match at the No. 2 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Phil Lauture.
-Sewanee collects its seventh straight Southern Athletic Association Tournament crown and the team's ninth between the SAA and the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC), where Sewanee was a member from 1991-2012.
1. Andres Carro (SEWANEE) vs. Ritwik Chatterjee (RHODES) unfinished
2. Jack Gray (SEWANEE) def. Phil Lauture (RHODES) 6-4, 6-2
3. Brandon Kali (SEWANEE) vs. Andrew Morton (RHODES) unfinished
4. Jordan Brewer (SEWANEE) def. P.J. Shaw (RHODES) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jack Metzger (SEWANEE) def. Sean Hogan (RHODES) 6-1, 6-1
6. Fletcher Kerr (SEWANEE) def. Sairam Gudiseva (RHODES) 6-2, 6-3
1. P.J. Shaw/Andrew Morton (RHODES) def. Jordan Brewer/Aubrey Davis (SEWANEE) 8-4
2. Jack Gray/Andres Carro (SEWANEE) def. Ritwik Chatterjee/Phil Lauture (RHODES) 8-3
3. Frank Stich/Alex Lloyd (RHODES) def. Ryan Wax/Brandon Kali (SEWANEE) 8-2
Earning the automatic qualifier, Sewanee will next participate in the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers will make their 17th appearance in the national tournament and the sixth in a row.
The NCAA will announce selections for the team tournament on Monday, May 6. The individual selections will be announced on May 8.